Integrate with Slack to support your test activity management and keep team members updated.
Slack is a collaboration hub where teams work together online, which makes it useful if they can be informed in this same place about TestMonitor. The integration with Slack is focused on updating you about test activities in your project as soon as they occur in TestMonitor. For example, setting up the integration will let you know in Slack when a test run in TestMonitor is completed or an issue is created.
When you integrate with Slack, you are choosing a channel within the software to send TestMonitor notifications. You can have entire teams as part of a Slack channel and eliminate the need for company-wide emails to update people on project actions or the need for all members to constantly log into TestMonitor. With the Slack integration, you can select which actions to be notified about and can even receive weekly summaries of test activities for the past week to keep everyone up to date.
Before you begin
To set up the integration with Slack, you will need an admin account for TestMonitor and a Slack account. You will also need to have a channel created in your Slack environment to send the notifications from TestMonitor to.
Integrations are configured for a project in TestMonitor. Thus you will be able to determine per project whether you need an integration.
Configuring the Slack Integration
Go to the Project Settings of the project you wish to set up an integration with.
Once you are on the project settings page:
- Head over to the Integrations section and click the Slack Connect button.
- Fill in the URL of your Slack workspace and then enter your email address and password to log into Slack. If you are already logged in TestMonitor will connect automatically.
- Select the channel you wish to send TestMonitor notifications to.
- Click Allow.
- You will receive a notification in the selected Slack channel stating that the integration is configured.
Notifications OverviewOnce you have integrated Slack, all notifications will be configured by default. You can expect notifications for the following scenarios:
- Every time a test run is planned. The notification will contain the test run code, name, milestone, period, priority, and environment.
- Every time a test run is completed. The notification will contain the test run code, name, milestone, period, priority, and environment.
- When a milestone is reached (all test runs are completed). You will receive a notification with the milestone name and end date.
- When a user creates an issue. You will receive a notification with the issue code, name, description, category, status, priority, and assignee.
- When a user posts a comment on a test result or an issue. You will receive a Slack notification with that comment and the issue or test result details.
- Anytime a user updates an issue status. The notification will let you know the new issue status and the issue code, name, category, priority, and assignee.
- Every Monday for a weekly summary. The notification will inform you about the previous week’s test activities including the number of test runs completed, the number of test results created and issues created, resolved and closed.
Configure the NotificationsYou can manage which notifications Slack sends at any time. Return to Project Settings and head over to the Integrations section.
- Click the button to Configure Slack.
- Select, or deselect, any of the notifications as desired.
- Click Save.
Disconnect the Slack IntegrationIf the Slack integration is no longer required or your project comes to an end you can easily disconnect the integration.
To disconnect the integration:
- Go to the Project Settings of the project you want to disconnect the integration from.
- Navigate to the Integrations section and click the Disconnect button for Slack.
- Click Disconnect to confirm.