Extend your Jira issue management by integrating with TestMonitor to quickly create issues from your test management in TestMonitor.
If you use Jira for the management of issues to support planning, tracking, and releases, you may want to integrate TestMonitor to streamline your workflow.
Whilst using TestMonitor for your test management, creating issues in TestMonitor will support tracing back test issue context, enable data links to other aspects of your tests, and reporting on progress. Instead of having to manually create these issues in Jira as well, the integration will automatically create them based on the issues in TestMonitor.
You’ll easily be able to trace back the link between TestMonitor issues and Jira issues to track their progress. Every issue sent over to Jira will have a link back to TestMonitor. The integration will also let you select if some or all TestMonitor issues will become an issue in Jira based on your project needs.
Before you begin
To set up an integration, you need an admin account for TestMonitor and a Jira account with permissions to create an issue. You will also need an API token from Jira to connect the systems. Read more about generating Jira access tokens via this link.
Integrations are configured for a project in TestMonitor. Thus you will be able to determine per project whether you need an integration.
Configuring the Jira Integration
Go to the Project Settings of the project you wish to set up an integration with.
Once you have opened the project settings page:
- Head over to the Integrations section and click the Connect button for Jira.
- Fill the web address of your Jira instance in the URL field (e.g. https://yourcompany.atlassian.net/).
- Fill in the email address of your Jira account in the User field.
- Enter your Jira API token.
- Select the Project for which you wish to create TestMonitor issues as issues in Jira.
- Select the Issue Type you want to use when creating a Jira issue. Jira issues can be a bug, task, or story.
- Decide whether you want issues to be sent automatically or manually
- Automatically: each time an issue is created in your project it will automatically be sent to your Jira project.
- Manually: Every time you create an issue in your project, you can decide if it should be transferred to your Jira project. After creation, the issue detail page will show a button allowing you to send it.
- Click Connect to complete the integration. The Jira panel refers to your Jira instance as connected.
Using the IntegrationIf you chose for issues to be sent to Jira automatically during setup, no extra actions are required. Once you create an issue in TestMonitor, an issue will be created in Jira with no other work on your part. You can view them in the Jira issue overview.
If you chose the manual integration at setup, you must go to the Details page of an issue and then click the Send to Jira button. The issue is now in the Jira issue overview.
The following issue fields and data from TestMonitor will be sent to Jira for each issue whether manually or automatically sent:
Any custom fields from your issues will be sent to Jira as well.
To view the issue in Jira, go to the Issue Details page in TestMonitor and then select Open in Jira. When TestMonitor sends an issue to Jira, the issue description contains a link back to the issue in TestMonitor.
With an active Jira integration you will also be able to activate the column Jira on the issue overview page, which will show you if an issue was sent to Jira. You can also click this link to go directly to the issue in Jira.
Disconnect the Jira IntegrationIf the integration is no longer required or your project comes to an end you can easily disconnect the integration.
To disconnect the integration:
- Go to the Project Settings of the project you want to disconnect the integration from.
- Navigate to the Integrations section and click the Disconnect button for Jira.
- Click Disconnect to confirm.
Previously created Jira issues and their links to TestMonitor will still be available in Jira.